Thursday, December 4, 2008

You're a mean one, Mr. Miree


ok, so he's not really.

But I did get scolded at my drum lesson last night for not practicing enough. I say scolded, because even though it was probably the nicest way he could have possibly said it, I felt like I was in trouble when he was finished talking.

So, I have to practice more. ALOT more. Like every day. Because I want to be good-not just ok, or average or "good enough" or whatever. I want to actually be good at this.

On a better note, I felt pretty good about last night's lesson (other than the scolding)

I learned how a lot of songs go in rythms of 2's and 4's, you have, say, 3 segments (he used another word, but for the life of me I can not remember what it was now) are the basic beat or the "groove", and the 4th rythm is considered the fill, which can be anything you want, as long as it can keep the pulse and transition nicely into the next set of groove.

Then, to help me learn about different basic kinds of "fills," we played something he called "the echo game," where he played a certain beat and then I tried to copy. I wasn't perfect, of course, but I felt pretty good about how it went. I did better than I would have expected from myself.

I really had a good time. I love learning something new, and now I must learn to be more disciplined in my practice, so I can keep moving forward.

Below please enjoy some youtube clips of some female drummers that will melt your face off, and know that I will someday too:


Sheila E





Gina Shock





Vik Foxx



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This drum teacher of yours sounds like an ass.

You're probably better than him anyway.

It sounds like you have a really good grip on this drumming stuff.

-Anonymous (NOT Harry, I promise)

Dominique said...

Thank you, whomever, but I can't even imagine anyone thinking Harry is an ass. He's very sweet, and the "scolding" I wrote about was more what I got from it, rather than what he meant to convey.

He's right-there's only so much he can teach me before it's up to me to get it right.

However, despite my lack of discipline, I will continue to rock.

~Dom