Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Matchbox 20 is Nobody's "favorite" band

No truer words have ever been spoken.

Let's face it-we all judge people based on something. If you say you don't judge, you're a Lying McLyster because you do, and you have, and you will again.

So I let a lot of things slide when it comes to the company I keep, mostly because I find what most people see as flaws as major selling points in a relationship a lot of the time. The one thing I judge harshly on, however, is musical taste. It's not always a deal breaker, but it can definitely change the way I view someone.

Now everyone has a bit of an eclectic taste for different things. While I'm pretty proud of the 553 songs that I have entered into my ipod since it coming into my life a few short months ago, I do have Wham on there, for God's sake. I'm not talking about the one or two songs you like by Britney Spears (yep, she's on there too. Frequently.) I'm talking about all-time-favorite-entire-album-went-to-the-concert bands.

Some popular favorites that don't weird me out but aren't necessarily my picks:

1)DMB
2)Led Zeppelin
3)Widespread Panic
4)Metallica
5)The Beatles
6)Hell, I would even take Britney Spears.

But no where in that shortened (but realistically infinite) list do you see a band like "Matchbox 20."

Matchbox 20 is a band, that, like Third Eye Blind or Three Doors Down is good for a 3-4 song base, if that. So when I recently came across someone who's 2nd favorite band was listed as Matchbox 20, I gotta tell you, my stomach flipped a little. and I felt the judgement. I felt it BIG TIME. I had this conversation with Harry (it wasn't him, his tastes are impeccibly in tune with my own) and he made the very statement that titles this blog. You all know Harry's a sweetheart, and I hate to rat him out like that, but come on. I wouldn't even count that as a judgemental statement so much as I would a pure fact.

Anyway, it got me wondering what other fun facts this kid is going to bust out during the tenure of our friendship, and how much it will change the way I view it. Next thing you know he'll be telling me he doesn't eat hamburgers and owns a pet cat. (not that I know anyone like that ; )

1 comment:

Katie said...

AAAAAAAAAAH PET CATS! HAMBURGER HATERS. gross.