Thursday, January 15, 2009

Want to see what happiness looks like?

Well, what my happiness looks like is this:


That would be the Yamaha electronic drum kit that I now OWN. It is all mine, and I love it. Harry came over last night to "help" me set it up, and by "help" I mean he did the whole thing himself. I may have plugged in a few wires he simply couldn't reach.

ANYwho, it's awesome, and he said it was a great set. Since I'm not working off a loaner, I can now continue my drumming no matter where I go in life.
We didn't learn anything new, but that doesn't matter because it was a great session anyway. Since I've been so slow to learn new things, I decided to focus some energy on my drum inspiration. My first step to do this was to get some books on different drummers and their styles. I bought a few on amazon, and I began my musical education.


Here's a few of the drummers I learned and loved:


Keith Moon, drummer for "The Who"

This kid was ca-razy. He was often accused of sounding "sloppy" but it was really just very intricate. He's probably my favorite because he was ridiculous and had an apetite for destruction

Mike Portnoy, drummer for Dream Theater

This is one of Harry's favorites. I don't know much about him, but I've seen a video or two. and look at his kit. day-um.

Carter Beuford, drummer for Dave Matthews Band
This is Harry's hero. From what I've read, he's a big fan of using "Ghost strokes" which are really cool sounding.

Tony Williams, drummer for Miles Davis

Apparently this guy could do things that defied physics. His hands would be doing a steady movement but the sound would be something they surely couldn't be doing.

Animal, drummer for "The Muppets"
Allegedly his drumming style was a tribute to Keith Moon, but I added him because he's funny.
So I will continue my drummageducation with research and practice. And I now feel comfortable enough to start exploring how to do some things on my own, so I'll hopefully have some things to show Harry next week when we meet.
Now I actually have to get some work done...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Animal is awesome. and Mr. Car-teeer, he's pretty bad as. Yes, as. When you're ready, we can perform together. My specialty, breakfast at tiffanys. I also know like a guster song. I actually havent played in ages. Maybe I need to get crackin...then I could be the guitar playing teacher, like Ms. Lippy.

Unknown said...

Jared and I like listening to the drummer from Incubus and of course the White Stripes drummer, Meg White. The inclusion of Animal in your blog was both fitting and hilarious. Drum away my friend!